Meet Travis Gahman, who has been working as a project engineer for the last three years. He has carved his niche at Direct Line over the past five years, transforming intricate project design drawings into accurate multi-million dollar finalized bids with remarkable speed and finesse. His days are a whirlwind of calculations, collaboration, and creative problem-solving, fueled by a passion for his work and the accomplishment that comes with successful project completion.
Here are some facts to know about Travis Gahman and what a day in the life of a Project Engineer working at Direct Line looks like with dedication, expertise, and unwavering passion that makes him a driving force behind Direct Line’s success.
- What is your current role, and how long have you been with Direct Line Global?
- I am a Program Engineering Supervisor/Estimator and have been in these positions for three years. And five years with Direct Line.
- What does a typical day look like for you working at Direct Line Global? Elaborate your daily routine.
- Taking off bid documents turning the take-offs into labor and material totals to create an accurate and organized Bid Estimate. Working with many software programs and documents ensures the bids are accurate and up to date. Tracking all the active and future proposals is key, especially during weeks with 3-5 unique bids due.
- What would you like to say to someone interested in applying at Direct Line?
- Be ready to work at a fast-paced, safety-oriented, rapidly growing telecommunications company. There are many opportunities to increase your knowledge and experience and, ultimately, your career. When you put in the hard work and effort, you will be rewarded.
- What kind of education and training did your career require? How do you achieve success in your role?
- I had no prior education or knowledge of the field before starting with Direct Line Global. However, I worked extremely hard and learned as much as I could every day to grow my knowledge base to what it is today. I’ve worked my way up to Program Engineering Supervisor/Estimator all the way from being an Apprentice Level 1 in the field on day 1 of my employment. I am efficient and knowledgeable with Excel and other software programs, which allows me to be successful in my current role.
- Tell us about your career path in Direct Line.
- I started as a Greenhorn Apprentice Level 1 and worked my way to a Technician, Lead Technician, Foreman, Project Engineer, Estimator, and now Program Engineering Supervisor.
- What do you love most about what you do?
- I love the teamwork and sense of accomplishment of turning project design drawings into accurate multi-million dollar finalized bids within a few days.
- What are your interests outside of work?
- I’m a sports fanatic and love rooting for my Philadelphia sports teams. I am also a high-level amateur golfer who plays in golf tournaments throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region.
- Tell us a surprising or fun fact about you.
- I hold three different golf course records.
- If you could give one piece of career advice, what would it be?
- Work hard and always be willing to assist co-workers in helping them accomplish tasks in the workplace.